Candidate Qualifying Information
City of Opa-locka General & Special Election
Tuesday, November 8, 2022
The following Commission seats will be open for the City of Opa-locka General & Special Election on November 8, 2022:
Mayor - four (4) year term
Two (2) City Commissioners - four (4) year term
City Commissioner - two (2) year unexpired term
BECOME A CANDIDATE
To become a candidate, the following documents must be filed with the Opa-locka City Clerk PRIOR to opening a campaign account, receiving contributions, or making any expenditures:
(1) DS-DE 9 Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates - must be filed prior to opening the campaign account and prior to the candidate accepting any contributions or making any expenditures, or authorizing another to accept contributions or make expenditures on the person’s behalf.
(2) DS-DE 84 Statement of Candidate - must be filed with the filing officer within 10 days after filing DS-DE 9. This form states that the candidate has been provided access to read and understand the requirements of Chapter 106, F.S.
After filing the appropriate paperwork with the City Clerk, candidates may then open a campaign account and begin to accept contributions and make expenditures.
QUALIFYING TO BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT
Candidates must qualify to run during the qualification period which shall commence at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, August 1, 2022 and end at 12:00 p.m. on Friday, August 12, 2022. Normal business hours for the Office of the City Clerk are Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., 780 Fisherman Street, 4th Floor, Opa-locka, Florida. Please contact the Office of the City Clerk to schedule an appointment at 305-953-2800.
The following documents must be submitted:
(1) DS-DE 9 Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates - if not already on file
(2) DS-DE 84 Statement of Candidate - if not already on file
(3) DS-DE 302NP Candidate Oath
(4) Form 1 Statement of Financial Interests
(5) AFFIDAVIT OF CANDIDACY AND RESIDENCY - City Charter provides that candidates must have resided continuously in the City more than 365 days prior to the day of the election at which said person seeks to qualify as a candidate for the Office of Mayor or City Commissioner.
(7) CURRENT VOTER’S REGISTRATION CARD
(8) PROOF OF RESIDENCY, including, but not limited to homestead exemption, driver’s license, motor vehicle registration, voter’s registration card, lease agreements, utility bills, and income tax returns. Candidates must have resided continuously in the City more than 365 days prior to the day of the election at which said person seeks to qualify as a candidate for the Office of Mayor or City Commissioner.
(9) QUALIFYING FEE - In accordance with Section 5.1(d) of the City Charter, a fee in the amount of $250, payable to the City of Opa-locka, from the Candidate’s Campaign Account must be submitted.
(10) STATE ASSESSMENT FEE - In accordance with State Statute, candidates must file an assessment fee in the amount of 1% of the annual salary of the office being sought. The annual salary for Mayor and Commissioners is $6,600. The amount of $66.00 payable to the City of Opa-locka from the Candidate’s Campaign Account must be submitted.
(11) Please be sure to submit to the Office of the City Clerk the necessary completed qualifying papers and fees in a sufficient period of time before the 12:00 pm expiration of the qualifying period on Friday, August 12, 2022, so that your qualifying papers may be timely filed with City Clerk’s office by the end of the qualifying period. We respectfully request that all prospective candidates call the City Clerk’s Office in advance to set up an appointment time for qualifying as a candidate. It is necessary that this office has sufficient time to adequately review the paperwork involved. Having an appointment will help avoid confusion and is the most efficient use of everyone’s time.
Filing Office for the City of Opa-locka - Joanna Flores, City Clerk, 780 Fisherman Street, 4th Floor, Opa-locka, Florida 33054, Email: email@example.com, Office: (305) 953-2800, Cell: (786) 877-4038.