Household Hazardous Waste

What's hazardous in my home?

Many consumer products contain toxic chemicals that make them hazardous. These products need to be handled properly to prevent them from entering the environment or harming the health of your family. Some of these products include:

Home repair — Adhesives, oil-based paint, thinner, epoxy, paint stripper

Cleaners — Oven cleaners, deck cleaners, degreasers, toilet cleaners

Pesticides and fertilizers — Wood preservatives, mole killer, herbicides, pesticides

Auto and boat equipment — Batteries, paint, gasoline, oil, antifreeze, solvents

Hobbies and recreation — Pool chemicals, glaze, paint, white gas

Miscellaneous — Ammunition, fireworks, asbestos

Other hazardous materials include common products such as cathode ray tubes in computer monitors and televisions, fluorescent bulbs, thermostats, and some pharmaceuticals.

mdc hhz

How to Dispose of Hazardous Materials

Many common household chemicals are unsafe to place out for collection with your household refuse. Help protect Miami's drinking water supply and the fragile environment by safely disposing of your household chemicals.
Miami-Dade County Home Chemical Collection Center accepts oil-based paints, pesticides, solvents, pool chemicals, and other household items. The centers also accept latex paints that are still in liquid form; however, it is recommended that new paints or latex paint that is still in good condition be donated to neighbors or community groups. The centers are available to non-commercial residents only.
They will not accept commercial waste of any kind.
For hours and locations of the Miami-Dade County Home Chemical Collection Center closest to you, please call (305) 468-5900.
When delivering household chemicals to the Center, please remember:
Pack all containers upright in sturdy boxes.
Tighten lids and caps on all containers.
Place leaking containers in larger containers, along with an absorbent material such as newspaper.
Make sure all containers are labeled. If the original label has fallen off, re-label it with the contents or any information you have, or label it "UNKNOWN CHEMICALS".