I have no water pressure in my home. What should I do?
No pressure usually indicates either of the following:

  • The house valve is off

  • There is a possible broken pipe

  • The water meter may be off

The most common situation is the house valve has been turned off by mistake. To check your house valve: Please, ensure all faucets in your house are closed normally. Locate your house valve on the side or front of the house just below the garden hose connection. To open it, turn the valve counterclockwise.

If you notice standing water around the water meter box or in the roadway, this may indicate a leaking or broken pipe, and you should call (305) 953-3058. The water meter may also be off. Please call (305) 953-3058 to find out.

Show All Answers

1. How do I set up new water service with the city?
2. How do I disconnect my utility service?
3. How can I temporarily disconnect my service if the property is going to be vacant for a while?
4. Why don’t I have running water in my home?
5. Where do I report water leaks or main breaks?
6. Where do I report a sewer back-up?
7. Why is my water bill higher than usual?
8. I have no water pressure in my home. What should I do?