Where do I report a sewer back-up?
If your sinks, tubs, or toilets are overflowing, you may be experiencing a sewer back-up in your home. The Customer Care Division can be reached at (305) 953-3058.

Show All Answers

1. How do I set up new water service with the city?
2. How do I disconnect my utility service?
3. How can I temporarily disconnect my service if the property is going to be vacant for a while?
4. Why don’t I have running water in my home?
5. Where do I report water leaks or main breaks?
6. Where do I report a sewer back-up?
7. Why is my water bill higher than usual?
8. I have no water pressure in my home. What should I do?